What To Do In The Event Of A Loss
In the event of loss or damage to your dwelling or its contents you should report the matter to us as soon as possible.
Your First Contact With Us
- You will be required to attend our office to complete a detailed form relating to the loss.
- You should arrange for an estimate of the damage to be prepared
- We will arrange for an inspection of the damage at a mutually convenient time.
- Our highly trained staff will guide you in the most efficient way of getting you back in the position you were prior to the loss.
Burglary, Housebreaking, Theft And Fire Incident
- Immediately report all these incidents to the police and the Fire service, in case of fire.
- Where a crime has been committed do not tamper with any potential evidence before the arrival of the police
- Take photos where possible to show entry, exit and damage
- Contact our Claims Department as soon as possible
- List all damage / loss to building and contents.
- Locate and secure your insurance policy and any other personal contractual documents
Losses From Major Perils – Flood, Hurricane etc.
On Happening Of A Loss
- Take photos of damage.
- Secure premises with board, tarpaulins etc. to prevent further loss or damage to building and contents.
- Keep all invoices and receipts for sums spent in securing the premises
- Contact our Claims Department or your broker representative as soon as possible for guidance
- Clean up debris
- Salvage as much as possible. Dry out electrical items, clothing etc.
- If necessary, use a generator to run essential electrical appliances e.g. freezers
- If the premises are rendered uninhabitable, seek reasonably priced temporary alternative accommodation. There is some coverage under your policy
Making A Claim That Will Be Settled Quickly
- Your first official step is to fully complete our claim form and return same to us, ASAP but definitely within 30 days. The forms are available from our office or web site.
- For contents, prepare an inventory of damaged / lost items available with date of purchase, purchase price, replacement cost or repair estimate
- For building, have a detailed estimate from the person (s) you intend to have restore it.
- Make yourself available to the claims adjuster.
- Allow at least one hour for adjuster to survey premises and take photos etc. (Have documents ready, e.g. site plan, claim documents)
- Make sure to point out all known damage.
- The adjuster will have local rates sheets for similar types of building repairs and will prepare his costing based on measurements taken by him. If his costing is in line with estimate / claim made by you the adjuster might request that you sign Proof of Loss Form which verifies that you accept the amount proposed to you by the adjuster as your loss.
- The adjuster will then send their report to us and we compare your loss with the policy coverage in place.
- Should your loss be covered under the policy we will issue settlement cheque and final policy discharge form.
Info required about Damaged items:
- Year Purchased
- Original Cost
- Replacement Cost or Repair Cost
Relevant Insurance Policy conditions
The Excess or Deductible:
- In respect of losses arising directly or indirectly from the perils of
- Hurricane, Cyclone, Tornado and Windstorm;
- Rain accompanying the perils stated in (a) above;
- Fire and/or Flood (including overflow of the sea) caused by the perils stated in (a) (b) or (c) above: –
A sum equivalent to 2% (two per cent) of the sum insured per item that shall apply to each item as set out in the Schedule.
All benefit under this Policy shall be forfeited
- If any claim made under this Policy be in any respect fraudulent or if any false declaration be made or used in support thereof, or if any fraudulent means or devices are used by the Insured or any one acting on his behalf to obtain any benefit under this Policy.
If any event giving rise to or likely to give rise to a claim under this Policy comes to his knowledge the Insured shall:
- Take steps to minimise the loss or damage and recover any missing property.
- Give notice in writing to the Insurer and
- Give notice to the police if the event be theft or suspected theft or willfull or malicious damage.
(b) Within 30 days or such further time as the Insurer may in writing allow to deliver to the Insurer
- a claim in writing for the loss or damage containing as particular an account as may be reasonably practical of all the several articles or items of property lost or damaged and the amount of loss or damage thereto respectively, having regard to their value at the time of the loss or damage.
- particulars of all other insurances, if any.
The Insured shall at all times at his own expense procure and give to the Insurer all such further particulars, plans, specifications, books, vouchers, invoices, duplicates or copies thereof, proofs and information with respect to the claim and the origin and cause of the loss or damage and the circumstances under which the loss or damage occurred, and any matter touching the liability or the amount of liability of the Insurer as may be reasonably required by or on behalf of the Insurer together with a declaration on oath or in other legal form of the extent of the claim and any matters connected therewith.
On the happening of any loss or damage to any of the property insured by this Policy the Insurer may:
- Enter and take and keep possession of the building or premises where the loss or damage has happened.
- take possession of or require to be delivered to it any property of the Insured in the buildings or on the premises at the time of the loss or damage.
The powers conferred by this Condition shall be exercisable by the Insurer at any time until notice in writing is given by the Insured that he makes no claim under this Policy or, if any claim is made, until such claim is finally determined or withdrawn, and the Insurer shall not by any act done in the exercise or purported exercise of its powers hereunder, incur any liability to the Insured or diminish its rights to rely upon any of the Conditions of this Policy in answer to any claim.
If the Insured or any person acting on his behalf shall not comply with the requirements of the Insurer, or shall hinder or obstruct the Insurer in the exercise of its powers hereunder, all benefit under this Policy shall be forfeited. The Insured shall not in any case be entitled to abandon any property to the Insurer whether taken possession of by the Insurer or not.
The Insured shall maintain the property in a proper state of repair and take all reasonable precautions to prevent Damage thereto.